Book 1 Post 1

    The book that I chose to read was "American Like Me" by America Ferrera. There were two reasons I decided to read this book, the first being that I loved watching America in movies such as "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." Secondly, being Latina myself, I was interested in learning more about her story. In the book, she discusses her upbringing and all the trials and tribulations she experienced with her first name being America. Such as the first day of school, classmates bullying her, and her internal struggle with personal identity. Then each following chapter is written by different people who inspire America. The book is written engagingly and feels like a friend telling you a story. 

   What I have taken away from this book is that each person's experience, while different, has core similarities. We all want to feel that we belong and have a strong sense of identity. Unfortunately, this universal desire to live equally amongst peers is not always met in our reality. I am so inspired by the book because by America and each person who contributed to this book sharing their story, we can be reminded that we are not alone in our self-doubt or insecurity. I know there were many parts of America's story that I related to, and I know there are countless other people who relate to all the stories in this book—looking forward to finishing the book and learning about all their stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World We Dare to Imagine, Part 1

World We Dare to Imagine, Part 3