Book 2, Post 2
In the book the "No-Nonsense Guide to Climate Change: The Science, the Solutions, and the Way Forward" by Danny Chivers, the author lists the current state of our environment, how our actions affect climate change, and what we can do in the fight against global warming. This book was a quick read but was highly informational and provided great insight into our current climate issues. In this post I will explain what the book talks about and conclude with my takeaways.
The book begins by breaking down what causes global warming, which is the excess amount of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. The heat from the sun passes through our atmosphere, reflects off the Earth's surface, and then is trapped inside our atmosphere by carbon dioxide. This process is good for the planet because it allows the Earth to remain warm, but the issue now is that there is too much carbon dioxide in the air due to pollution and carbon emissions from industrial production. The book discusses possible solutions to fighting climate change, such as "lightening the load," meaning changing our lifestyles to reduce energy consumption. Another solution was introducing zero-carbon cargo shipping, which will help reduce carbon emissions on a large scale. The book highlights multiple ways to do our part in reducing waste and helping heal the planet. The book concludes with the final message of the "Ten top tips to save the climate," listing number one as believing in ourselves. The book's call to action is for us to think that we can solve global warming because it will take all of us to work together to save the planet.
My biggest takeaway from the book was the balance of optimism and realistic perspective. The author did a great job listing and explaining all the impending issues associated with climate change and its devastating impact on our environment. But he reassures the reader that it's not too late, and inspires the reader to take action. This book was well written and an excellent tool for people to use if they want to start learning more about how to restore the Earth.
Chivers, Danny. No-Nonsense Guide to Climate Change: The Science, the Solutions, the Way Forward. New Internationalist, 2014.
Hi Bella, very interesting post. While I read a different book than you, it seems like your book was very interesting as well. I like how the author balanced optimism with a realistic perspective in this book. It's very important to have that balance when it comes to climate change and the environment as sometimes being overly optimistic or overly realistic can be a bad thing. I think we should all do our part in "lightening the load" as we must do everything we can to preserve our planet as much as possible.
ReplyDeleteHi Bella! I really enjoyed reading your post. I liked how you outlined the premise of the book and even gave insight into the scientific reasonings behind global warming. It showed me you really understood the context of the book but also was able to apply other themes like 'calls for action' beyond just the fear of global warming consequences. Lastly, I really enjoyed your commentary about the balance between optimism and realistic perspective-- i thought that was such a great way to word this.
ReplyDeleteHi Bella,
ReplyDeleteI like how the book describes solutions that we can implement in our lives to do our part to combat global warming! As a collective, when people start making little changes, I believe that there will be a significant impact. However, it is hard to start that movement. I think it is cool how the author was able to balance optimism and realism because that is really hard to do with this topic. For example, I feel like if I am realistic about our ability to fight global warming, I sound pessimistic. His ability to do that is impressive!
Hi Bella!
ReplyDeleteClimate change is a topic that interests me. I often hear climate change activists propose solutions that are just unrealistic and not plausible. Hearing you say that this book offers a realistic perspective is great! I'll have to check it out.
- Lieza
Hi Bella! Loved reading your post. I think it's more important than ever that we educate ourselves on climate change and the negative impacts it has on our planet and future generations. Recently, there's definitely been a lot of fear mongering surrounding the topic of climate change, but it's great to hear how the author remained optimistic and encouraged readers to take action.
ReplyDeleteHey Bella,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your great post! I liked how both you and Danny Chivers highlighted the importance of hope and optimism in our fight against climate change, and our(past)selves. In an age of doom, belief in ourselves, and our ability to change and progress, is the first step to actual change and progress. The question you raise is how can we change the world if we don't believe we can change the world?
Hi Bella,
ReplyDeleteThis post was very informative and very interesting. I loved how you were able to highlight the main points and what climate change is and the causes of global warming. This topic can sometimes be so broad and many people don't really understand what climate change really is or how they can take action to make a positive impact on our planet.
Hey Bella. I like how you explained what global warming is and how it's actually good for the environment. Whenever I read an article on global warming, I immediately expect the paper to negatively analyze the harmful impact carbon dioxide has on the environment. I think it's interesting the author's optimism gives hope to society that we as collective individuals will take action to bring positive changes to our environment and to our future generations
ReplyDeleteHi Bella! I really enjoyed reading your post. I think you did a great job in explaining what causes global warming. I also liked how you said that the book was optimistic and realistic at the same time. I think when talking about global warming it is really important to stay optimistic and take into consideration different things we can do to help the planet. Great post!
ReplyDeleteBella, I like the takeaway you got from this book. I do agree that solving climate change requires us to think about the issue with both optimism and realism. It's important that authors, and scientist spread this word through publications, so people understand both the direness of the issue and that it isn't too late to make a difference. Thanks for the post!
ReplyDelete