Random Post 2
Random Post 2: Darts and Mellow Gold Music
In my garage at home, we have a dartboard, and in this post, I will explain how this dartboard board introduced me to my favorite genre of music. It all began in high school when my dad hung up a dart board and asked me if I wanted to play. I learned to play 301 and cricket and have now played darts with him for over seven years. I love darts, and it's a great way to spend quality time with my dad.
For the first few months, my dad played one album exclusively, Boz Scaggs's Silk Degrees. I can recite every single word from every song from that entire album, especially my favorite song, Georgia. After months of listening to Boz Scaggs, I enviably became a fan, and this was when my father chose to start playing different artists. He started playing Cat Stevens/ Yusuf, which started my journey of listening to music that Spotify calls mellow gold. So, I went on Spotify, searched for related artists, and became captivated by so many new singers. My favorites include John Denver, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Loggins & Messina, and many more. I have a playlist of all these artists and I play them for my dad and me when we play darts.
The part I cherish the most is that my dad recognizes all these songs from when he was younger, and we can chat about the artists and songs we like. He shares stories of growing up, and I feel like I get to know my dad so much better. Spending quality time with loved ones is so important, and I am so blessed to have my father. This weekend I will be going home, and he just sent me a picture of the new darts he just bought, he says he will get a 180 (the highest score on the dart board), but we will have to see about that. In summary, I can't wait to play darts and listen to my favorite genre of music with my dad.
Hi Bella!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post -- it was so wholesome!! I love that you and your dad have created a bond through darts and I think it is really cool that it introduced you to your favorite genre of music. This is a very memorable experience and I am so glad you decided to share this with the class!
Hi Bella! I agree with Taylor–very wholesome. I have similar memories with the first songs I heard as a kid, but it was not doing something as cool as playing darts. I just remember sitting listening to Johnny Cash and John Denver (something about the name John I guess) in the car with my dad. Similarly, they're still songs I know by heart. Thank you for sharing this part of your life!
ReplyDeleteHi Bella,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, heartfelt post!
My first random post was about a francophonic artist my dad loves; an appreciation that I seem to have inherited. Your comments on mellow gold (which I will find time to discover), quality family time, and darts, a game I've always been fond of, resonated deeply. Thank you!
Hi Bella,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post as it's awesome to hear how you have such a great relationship with your dad. It seems like he's a great dad and you guys love spending time with each other, which is amazing. My dad loves to play darts as well and that's something that we like to do together sometimes too. It's awesome that you've adopted some artists and your favorite genre of music from him and it seems like a very interesting genre! I love music so I'll have to check out some of those artists you listed.
Hi Bella,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post, its so sweet. Ever since I moved out for college, I've learned to cherish all the little things with my family and especially my dad. I love how you were able to bond over something so simple that eventually has turned into some kind of tradition. I can resonate with this cause I love to spend time with my dad by watching sports or finding new food spots!
Hi Bella! I really enjoyed reading your post. I think it's really cool that you get to share your favorite music with your dad and that such came from such an interesting and effortless background. I hope you get home and have so much playing with him a game that you both enjoy so much!
ReplyDeleteHi Bella ! I really loved your post. It reminded me so much of my relationship with my dad. One of my favorite memories growing up is my dad showing me his favorite songs from his high school and college years. His love for music was passed on to me. I listen a lot to music from the 80s and my favorite band is also my dads and every time I hear music from these genres it makes me think of him.
ReplyDeleteHey Bella! I think activities in general is a great way to connect with people. I've always had a hard time connecting with my father but I found golf to be the best way to talk to him about anything. I love that our bonds can be deepened with small efforts and in this case dartboards
ReplyDelete